We are looking for a Policy Advisor to assist the Safety and Environment team and respective Committees in developing and presenting Chamber policy relating to maritime environmental issues.
We are looking for someone with the below skills, experience, and knowledge.
Knowledge and experience:
- University degree or equivalent qualification in the maritime or environmental fields such as naval architecture and engineering, marine science, ocean governance, maritime administration etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of the maritime industry.
- An understanding of the development, implementation and enforcement of shipping environmental policies.
- Knowledge of environment-related IMO conventions/regulatory frameworks, particularly The International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL).
- Experience in external interaction with representatives of member organisations, as well as government officials and presenting papers to specific agencies/committees/panels.
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Ability to assimilate information quickly
- Good organisational skills
- Attention to detail and good retention skills to ensure consistency of policy on long-running subjects
- Keen policy and legal research and analytical skills to identify issues that impact shipping businesses
- Strong written and oral communication skills to explain regulatory developments, provide policy advice to members, and represent their interests convincingly to the government and elsewhere.
- Efficient, professional, and approachable. To inspire confidence and credibility among members, government and other bodies.
- A capacity to deal with reasonably complex issues.
- Good problem-solving skills.
The UK Chamber of Shipping is the trade association and voice of the UK shipping industry. We represent more than 100 shipping companies and work with Government, parliament, international organisations and others to champion and protect the industry on behalf of our members.
If you are interested in this position, please apply with your CV. Closing date for applications is Friday 13th May.
We intend to hold first interviews during the week beginning 23rd May.